These are 3 of the best ways to travel like a boss without spending a ton of money. There’s also something in there about me offering my hair for sale in Dubai Lol Hope you enjoy! xo
[toggles][toggle title=”Prefer to Read? Click Here”]
Welcome to Beta Mo!
Before i get into it, i just want to say a huge welcome to everybody that is new to Beta Motivation! Welcome welcome welcome!! I am glad that you are here.
Just to give you a quick summary of what Beta Motivation is: Beta Motivation is a place you can come to find self improvement videos, big ideas, and blogging advice.
I create meaningful content for people that are purpose driven. These are people that are not driven primarily by money or selfish ambition. Instead, they are driven by the desire and need to fulfill their purpose.
Today’s video is about something that is a personal interest of mine and I know it’s also something that many of you are interested in – travel.
Most of the people reading this want to make the world a better place in some way. So it’s only natural that many of us also want to travel.
We want to see the world that we’re trying to make better.
I’ve been really fortunate as far as travel goes and I just want to share a funny story and the budget-friendly things that have been very helpful to me in my travels.
So here’s the story…
Last year, I was in Dubai with my mom. While we were there, we frequently made trips up to Deira (where the gold souk is). Deira is a very diverse area of Dubai and they have the best Nigerian restaurant I’ve ever been to outside of Nigeria. Their food was sooooo good! Oh my goodness. The goat meat and all the food was just awesome.
So needless to say, my mom and I used to go there pretty much everyday for lunch. And every single day we went there, there would be at least one Indian man asking me if I wanted to buy Indian hair.
It was the freakiest thing.
I was always polite but couldn’t help wondering why they felt the need to offer me Indian hair. Couldn’t they see my natural hair proudly flexing its muscles in the wind?
But by the 3rd or 4th day of going there (and getting the same question), I came up with a genius idea.
Every time they would ask me:
“Do you want to buy Indian hair?”
I would go:
“Well, do you want to buy Nigerian hair?”
Whenever I said that, they would give me the most puzzled look. Eventually, one of them said to me:
But look, Indian hair is good hair
In response, I plopped my afro around to demonstrate as I said:
Yes, Nigerian hair is good hair too
Alright let’s talk about the tips.
Tips for Traveling More Without Spending More Money
- Be faithful to one airline (or its alliance). When you’re faithful and signed up to their frequent flyer program, you get airline miles. Airline miles allow you to travel for free. I’ve paid $10 for a ticket before – thanks so miles.
- When you earn your miles, do not waste them on domestic travel. Save them for international trips – you get way more bang for your buck that way. I didn’t realize how important this was until I started paying attention to travel advice from Chris Guillebeau. He has some really good advice.
- If you’re going to get a credit card, get one that comes with airline miles as a bonus. I have a Delta Skymiles Gold Credit card. I generally don’t use it, but it came with 40,000 miles when I got it.
- Consider living a minimalist lifestyle. This is easily the most important tip on this list. I’m not the kind of person that likes to have a lot of stuff. As a result, I tend to avoid buying a lot of stuff. If minimalism doesn’t come naturally to you, I’d say just try to cut back a little bit so you have more money to travel and see the world.
- Sign up for email alerts from sites like BT-Store so that you know when different countries are on sale (this tip didn’t quite make it into the video. So those of you reading got a bonus!)
Speaking about seeing the world and trying to make the world a better place…
I was down in Haiti about 2 years ago to visit a couple of orphanages. I went with the Global Orphan project and this shirt was given to me on that trip.
I don’t wear it very often because, you know, I’m trying to be styling and stuff but I really like it.
It’s really really neat what these folks are doing down in Haiti. For those of you that are new, you may not know this but one of my goals is to eventually use Beta Motivation as a platform to highlight organizations like the Global Orphan project. I don’t have it all figured out but, as God provides the strength, I will just keep putting one foot in front of the other.